Ms. Foundation for Women, Vice President for Development
Brooklyn, New York
7/14/10 - The Ms. Foundation for Women – a national
public foundation promoting social justice for women
and girls -- seeks a Vice President for Development.
The Vice President will join a 5-person Executive Team
closely with the Chief Operating Officer (to whom s/he
will report) and the President & CEO to:
- help guide the Foundation through the current changing
- raise funds to support its approximately $9 million
budget including approximately $4 million in annual
grant making to grass roots organizations and
- broaden the Ms. Foundation’s revenue and constituent
The Development Cluster has seven staff in addition
to the VP for Development. Sixty percent of the
Foundation’s revenues come from individuals and
family foundations; 40 percent from private and corporate
foundations. The funds raised support the work of the
Foundation’s grantees. As of June 2010, the Ms.
Foundation’s endowment stood at approximately
In its newly renovated, collaborative work space in
Brooklyn’s downtown MetroTech Center, the Ms.
Foundation is home to approximately 30 staff in the
areas/Clusters of Program, Communications, HR &
Operations, President’s Office, Finance and Development.
The Foundation is governed by a national 14-person
The VP for Development, working closely with the President
& CEO, the VP for Communications, other
members of the Executive Team, and the Board, will lead
the collaborative strategic planning and
implementation of raising funds for the Foundation’s
general operations and the program activities of its
grantees. The ideal candidate will:
- Bring fundraising best practices and utilize her/his
connections with major donors and institutions to
raise money in support of the Ms. Foundation’s
work, including the current planned giving program
a new Leading the Way Fund.
- Contribute her/his track record of success and vision
for how to attract a more diverse and younger array
Have knowledge of the local and national women’s
funds community and experience with the social
justice philanthropy landscape.
- Demonstrate a genuine interest and enthusiasm for
the mission and activities of the Ms. Foundation.
Be at her/his best by supporting excellence in others
-- strengthening a team and fostering individual
staff’s professional and personal growth.
- Embrace collaborative work environments, and understand
and enjoy the fact that relationships in and
out of the workplace matter.
- Be eager to try out new approaches and entertain
- Have successfully navigated and brought leadership
to organizational change efforts.
Why the Ms. Foundation?
The Ms. Foundation for Women is the country’s
first women’s foundation. As a public charity,
it is both a grant
maker and grant seeker. Supported by individuals, foundations
and corporations, it has invested more than $54
million and helped build the capacity of thousands of
grass roots and national organizations. The Ms.
Foundation is undergoing change and has made a genuine
commitment to devote its intellect, its passion and
the expertise of others to help navigate several trends
and events: a) the Foundation’s President &
CEO will be
stepping down at the end of 2010 – after 24 years
with Ms., the last six as President & CEO. A national
underway for her successor; b) the Foundation has been
undertaking a re-branding and evaluation of its
grantmaking facilitated by outside expertise; c) the
Foundation sees the need to expand and diversify its
base and as such is working with outside consultants
on donor retention and acquisition strategies.
The VP for Development will be welcomed by an Executive
Team and Board that fully supports, understands
and is eager to participate in raising money for the
Foundation. S/he will also inherit a Development Cluster
with bench strength, displaying a diversity of skills,
individual and collective initiative, and passion for
of the Ms. Foundation and its grantees. The Development
Cluster has benefitted from successful leadership to
date in developing an infrastructure to attract and
retain Major Donors, Foundations and Corporations. Its
annual Women of Vision (aka Gloria Awards) event in
May shares the successes of grantees, makes connections
among supporters of the Ms. Foundation and raises funds
like few others. The Foundation’s data system
(Raisers Edge) has the dedicated focus of staff to help
frame and generate sophisticated requests for information.
Lastly, the Development team, the leadership and staff
of the Communications Cluster and the entire
organization are committed to using new technologies
and social media to reach younger and more diverse
donors and promoters of the mission.
The Vice President for Development Position
The Ms. Foundation seeks a seasoned fundraising professional
who is able to lead and manage a growing
fundraising program. The Essential Responsibilities
of the role are to:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of strategy
to meet the Foundation’s fundraising goals.
- Model and articulate the Foundation’s commitment
to diversity, collaboration and a culture of
- Manage a staff of seven, including Director of Major
Gifts, Senior Corporate and Foundation Officer,
and Senior Development Officer, as well as consultants
- Manage the effective stewardship and solicitation
of all donors, including personally cultivating and
making the “asks” of prospective donors
- Support the President & CEO, other staff members,
and Board members in donor/prospect cultivation
- Collaborate closely with Communications to support
the strategic use of on-line and social media.
- Staff the Development Committee of the Board of
- Manage the Development Cluster’s budget.
- Strengthen and broaden the Foundation’s systems
and processes to better serve funders and donors;
maintain strict donor confidentiality.
- Ensure excellent tracking and recording of all relevant
information in Raisers Edge.
- Ensure that the Foundation is in compliance with
all pertinent Federal and State laws and regulations
well as Foundation policies in regard to fundraising.
- Proven track record of meeting fundraising goals.
- Attuned to the world of social justice, preferably
with a sound understanding of women’s funds
relationships with potential new funders.
- Proven track record of integrating Development and
Communications planning and implementation.
- Familiarity with the success that on-line and social
media can have in creating multiple pathways for
- Proven track record of being a skilled and successful
manager, delegator and developer of staff.
- Excellent writing and communication skills for wide
range of audiences.
- Bachelors degree required, Masters preferred, plus
at least seven years of successful fundraising
leadership. CFRE a plus.
In addition, it is desirable that the VP for Development
be someone who:
- Is adaptable and flexible, receptive to change.
- Has managed a moderately-sized or large team
- Enjoys and has been successful at personal cultivation.
- Enjoys spending time with others, internal and external
to the organization.
How to Apply:
All inquiries, nominations and applications should
be directed to:
Schall & Russo Planning Works, LLC
Interested candidates are asked to send a thoughtful
cover letter for this position and a resume, in confidence,
to Steven Schall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note “Ms. Foundation VP Development”
in the subject line.
Additional information can be found at www.ms.foundation.org
as well as www.schallrusmenuso.com
Download the Print-Friendly
The Ms. Foundation has a longstanding commitment
to diversity in its leadership, staff, grantees and
We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this
search, including but not limited to age, race, ethnicity,
class, national origin, sexual orientation, disability